The writing in “Burning Bright” was very descriptive, allowing me to really picture the setting of the story and get an idea of the characters’ personalities. “…the corn shucks gray and papery as a hornet’s nest. She stepped off the porch and dragged a length of hose into the garden, its rubber the sole bright green among the rows.” The use of color in this portion of the text set the scene for just how dry the weather had been.

Even the woman from the grocery store, Barbara, helped set the scene for the kind of community Marcie lived in. Barbara, and presumably many other residents of the town, liked to gossip, especially about anyone who wasn’t from there originally. Coming from someone who has lived in a small town all her life, I could recognize the things she said in things I’ve heard people say before in my hometown. Characters and details like these really help the reader get the feel of what small towns are truly like.

The flashbacks to when Arthur died and when Marcie first met Carl and was getting to know him helped me get a sense of who they were and why Marcie really needed Carl to be innocent. If Carl was found guilty of setting the fires, Marcie would be alone once again, which was something she feared. I enjoyed the fact that it was so often hinted at Carl being the perpetrator, but it was never directly addressed whether or not he had set the fires. It made me want to read more and find out what actually happened.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story. The writing drew me in, and I couldn’t wait to see how everything turned out in the end.