Of this week’s selection of poems, Sylvia Plath’s “Mad Girl’s Love Song” was my favorite. I’ve always found eccentric, possibly crazy characters fascinating, and the speaker here was no exception. The villanelle style of repeating lines added to the “madness” of the voice – made it seem desperate and not exactly sane. The parentheses around “I think I made you up inside my head” caused me to feel like the speaker was not only addressing her lover but maybe talking to herself as well. Like many other poems we have read, I noticed the use of color throughout the poem, along with personification (“The stars go waltzing out in blue and red, / And arbitrary blackness gallops in”). I thought every line was written beautifully, but my favorites had to be “I should have loved a thunderbird instead; / At least when spring comes they roar back again.” I enjoyed the fact that Plath chose the thunderbird rather than a real animal because it showed how strongly the speaker felt toward her lover (in Native American mythology, the thunderbird is known to create lightning and thunder; this could mean that the speaker’s love was as strong as a thunderstorm). Overall, while the poem may be from the point of view of a “mad girl,” the emotion behind the words is something most people can relate – or want to relate – to, and maybe that shows us that love truly makes us mad.