“In skiing, I found the sport in which my wishes for speed, agility, and grace were fulfilled. I was taught a distinctive skiing style: The foot was “educated” to steer the ski in a specific way; I learned to anticipate each turn and adjust my body, skis, and outriggers accordingly, producing a fluid, graceful motion.”

Emily Rapp writes Poster Child from a first person point of view. By writing this memoir from this point of view, Rapp is able to convey her own personal thoughts and feelings to the reader, making the memoir more captivating for the reader. While reading Poster Child, I noticed that Rapp’s point of view of her disability changes throughout the novel. For example, in the beginning, Rapp sees her leg as more or less a nuisance that brought her much unwanted attention from others who didn’t understand her situation. However, as Rapp got older, she started ever so slowly embracing her disability (e.g., talking with the war vets in the waiting room of her prosthetist, participating in the Winter Park Handicapped Ski Program, etc.), even though she continued to worry obsessively about her looks and how other people perceived her.