Openmouthed, Ashley looked at Melissa. Melissa stared at her. Ashley shut her mouth, stepped out of the car, and slid into the backseat with me. She looked up at Melissa and then scooped up the puke with Melissa’s expensive sweater. I felt as though I had won some unnamed battle, that this round in the invisible fight was mine. Although it seemed impossible, I had found a way to hide.

In this paragraph, we see how Emily, at the age of sixteen, feels vulnerable to the speculation of others outside of her group of friends. She writes from a first person retrospective standpoint to show the reader how she truly felt during this tender age in her life. This paragraph does a wonderful job at explaining just how important appearance was to Emily at this stage in her life. It shows the extent she would go to in order to save herself from a situation of potential humiliation. Rapp says that she, “felt as though I had won some unnamed battle” in which the battle was finding a way out of her mini skirt. She had, “found a place to hide” meaning that she could hide the prosthetic leg from view of being speculated. Although throwing up in her skirt was embarrassing all in itself, Emily found it a rather appealing outcome in comparison to the humiliation she might have felt if she would have gone into the party exposing her leg. This paragraph was so wonderful because I felt as though Emily portrayed her feelings about her appearance in a away many young girls could relate.

Rapp writes in a way where the reader can easily visualize the situation at hand, and feel as if they are there with her, sharing the same experiences she has.